Wing Parish Council meets once a month (on the last Tuesday of every month, except in August and December) for the Full Council meeting, to which all members of the public are also invited.
Our meetings last generally for about a couple of hours, depending on the agenda.
All our councillors also belong to sub-committees (such as Environment, Finance, Planning committees) which hold other meetings between the monthly parish meeting.
Once elected, Parish Councillors serve on the Council for a maximum of four years. If they then want to stay in the post they can stand for re-election. We do occasionally have open vacancies arising, where the council can co-opt a new councillor.
To stand for election on a parish council, you must:
● Be a UK or commonwealth citizen, or
● Be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or
● Be a citizen of another Member state of the European Union
● Be at least 18 years old.
To be eligible to stand for an election for a particular parish, you must:
● Be an elector of the parish, or
● For the whole of the previous 12 months have occupied (as owner or tenant) land or other premises in the parish, or
● During the previous 12 months have worked in the parish (as your principal or only place of work), or
● For the whole of the previous 12 months lived in the parish or within three miles of the parish boundary.
You don’t have to be connected to a political party.
If you do become a parish councillor you will have to sign up to the Code of Conduct.
The best way to find out what it’s like to be a Parish Councillor is to talk to someone who’s doing it now. Come along to a Parish Council meeting, or speak to one of our Councillors and find out what they think of the job.
For more details please contact the Wing Parish Clerk or attend the next Parish Council Meeting.
There are currently four parish Councillor vacancies (July 2020). Parish Councillor Vacancy co-opt advert Jul 20
If you would like to be considered for co-option onto the Parish Council, please complete the Co-Option and Eligibility Form and submit it to the Clerk. WPC – Co-Option and Eligibility Application Form
If you have any questions, please email the Parish Clerk for more information, via the contact form.