This history was discovered whilst sorting papers. If you have any information to add to it, then please email Sarah Roe of the Wing Heritage Project at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first meeting was held on December 31, 1894, at the Cricket Pavilion, Ascott House. Mrs Leopold de Rothschild, being a member, was probably the first woman member of a Parish Council.
Meetings were held there by permission of Mr Leopold de Rothschild, but only electors of the Parish would be admitted. A clerk was appointed in September 1895 when there were nine members of the Council, and he was replaced in 1897 by George Jones, who was paid the enormous sum of £8 per annum.
The village was lit by oil lamps after adoption of the Lighting and Watching Act in August 1897. A person was appointed to clean, look after and light the oil lamps at 10/- per week.
In September 1897 complaints were received in respect of gates opening onto the pavements in the streets of Wing and a bylaw was considered to prevent this.
The village subscribed to the Leighton Urban District Fire Brigade, who were expected to attend in the case of fires in the village, and when in 1902 the Council was asked to subscribe to a Steam Fire Engine for Aylesbury, they declined on the grounds that it would take too long for the engine to reach Wing.
Also in 1902, an election took place for four Parish Constables to look after different areas of the village. The Clerk resigned in March 1902 and there were nine applicants for the post from as far away as Bletchley.
A Mr McKensie of Linslade was offered the position, subject to him coming to live in the village and finding a guarantee of £300 – he withdrew because the Wing Rural District Council (RDC) would not permit him to accept the office as he was a surveyor of roads to Wing RDC.
In 1905 the remainder of the ‘Jubilee Fund’ was passed to the Cotes Memorial Fund as a donation towards the cost of erecting the Public Hall. The last meeting at the Pavilion took place on September 21, 1905, and they moved to the new Hall on January 8, 1906.
Five acres of land – the Recreation Ground – rented from Lady Wantage in 1908 at a suggested rent of £10 per annum was refused, but then accepted at £2 10s a year on a 14-year lease in July 1909, and bylaws arranged which were signed by the Local Government Board in 1910.
The lighting changed to gas in October 1915, there being 35 lights, but they were extinguished in 1916 owing to the danger from Zeppelin raids.
In 1920 the Recreation Ground was purchased from Lady Wantage for £350, resulting from a donation of £300 from Mrs Leopold de Rothschild and £50 from Lady Wantage.
In 1923 the annual payment to Leighton Buzzard Urban Council was £6 10s for services of the Fire Brigade to fires in Wing.
In 1936 a by-pass for Wing across the Recreation Ground was on the cards and actually marked out, but for various reasons did not come to fruition.
In 1943-4 a rubbish collection was arranged by Wing RDC to try and get rid of the disgusting state that prevailed.
In 1946 the Guide Hut was erected in the SW corner of the Recreation Ground, having been transferred from the Evelyn Close area. The Wing Enclosure Award was deposited in the archives at County Council in 1949 and in 1950 a Wing Sports Association was formed to provide a concrete cricket pitch, bowling green, tennis courts etc
A further alignment of the A418 was attempted in 1954 and in 1958 the lighting changed to electricity, still under Wing RDC.
In 1960 after defaultation of certain parish clerks nationally, who had defaulted to the extent of £400-£500, a fidelity guarantee was advised. In 1964 on the death of the then-clerk, Mr W. Harris, the next clerk took on the job as a temporary post until a replacement was found, having had previous experience at Marsh Gibbon for 12 years.
Also in 1969 a special meeting was called in Wing Hall to consider the threatened development of Wing Aerodrome as the third London Airport, and a referendum was carried out in April 1969.
On January 3, 1971 a WARA (Wing Airport Resistance Association) cavalcade of combines, tractors and other vehicles paraded around the perimeter of 27 miles that the airport would take up.
In 1971 the Police House became vacant and the village policeman was not replaced.
In 1973 a Church Clock Committee was formed to arrange funds to replace the clock movement with electricity – the Parish Council agreed to provide the last £100 towards the cost and the Clerk became Treasurer of the Clock Fund.
In 1974 Wing RDC ceased to exist and we were taken over by Aylesbury Vale District Council. Street Lighting was taken over by the Parish Council on April 1, 1974, after all the lights had been put in working order.
In 1976-7 the Council purchased a piece of land as a Public Open Space in the centre of the village and it was aptly named ‘Jubilee Green’.
In 1981-3 Wing By-pass was finally planned after much badgering by the Parish Council, but the planning permission lapsed.
In 1983 the Chairmen and Clerks of six local villages formed a committee to press for various by-passes and this is still active today.
In 1986-7 The Council helped fight the closure of the Village Library, which is still flourishing today.